This week, I have 3 AP tests and the league meet for track. So, I'm only in class on Tuesday and Thursday, so I can't really do much. But, on Tuesday I glazed the vase I made last week. Unfortunately, my planter cracked through the middle and I had to throw it away before it even went through the bisque kiln. I still need to throw my double wall, a multi-wheel, and some theme projects. There are only a few more weeks of wet clay so I really need to be productive next week. Sorry there is no picture this week, but there isn't really anything to take a picture of.
On Monday I made a vase and a planter. I need to make a multi-wheel but I'm not sure what I want to do for that yet.
I have been glazing my set of three. I might remake the vase on the end because my third vase is the same shape as the pink one. But I'm using water colors to glaze them and I think it'll turn out really cool.
This week I am finally finishing glazing my case, and I'm working on my two plates. I used water colors to paint flowers onto my porcelain plate. I threw my second plate with porcelain on Tuesday, it's about 25% bigger than the first plate but I plan on painting a similar flower design to show that they are together. On Tuesday I also threw a porcelain vase to start my set of three. I plan on having three porcelain vases, the first one is short and wide, the second will be tall and narrow and then the third will be somewhere in the middle. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do, but I know that I will make them a set through glaze. I really want to emphasize the three different forms in the vases, (tall and narrow, short and wide, then hopefully very proportional and golden-rectangley) but I'm not sure how I will emphasize that yet.
The week of March 30th we worked on our Frankenpots. My team is Madison Fougere and Fiona Fursman. Madison made the base, I made the middle and Fiona made the top. It has a barbershop-type swirl up the bottom two thirds and the top is like a head with a smiley face on it.
As it is the last week of the quarter, I am just finishing up a lot of projects. Mostly I need to take pictures and blog, but I also made a really pretty vase last week that I had to foot on Monday. The rest of the week I plan on updating my grading blog and the vocab stuff. I have been spending a lot of time helping the newbes on the wheel, and since I have all of my projects finished I am a lot more willing to help them. I think that helping them is helping me with my own pieces because I am relearning and reinforcing the basics as I teach the newbes. Sometimes if you do something too much for too long, you sort of lose the little bits of technique and just forget about them. This is bringing back the good technique and it definitely is showing in my recent projects, specifically my new vase.
This week I glazed some projects that I've been meaning to get around to, I took pictures for my grading blog, and I mostly just had to catch up on finishing my last few projects. I threw a nice vase and I'm very excited to see how it turns out. I spent a lot of time glazing my wheel altered. I wanted the inside to be a flower and the outside to look sort of city-like, because I thought the juxtaposition would be cool.
This week I have been working on my lidded project. It has taken many many attempts, usually ending with a lot of frustration. But yesterday I finally made a good base, it is round and wide and sort of vase-shape, and a lid to match. When making my knob, I accidentally bumped it so one of the sides went flat, but it was okay because I just made the entire knob a square shape. I think it looks pretty cool, it's like a swollen cube-ish shape because there are no hard edges. I am definitely excited about it because last time i made a lidded project, the lid was really heavy and this one is a lot thinner and lighter on the bottom so it won't be as difficult to remove. I also finally glazed my tall project, I thought it was a blue glaze but it came out black, I'm not sure if I just didn't read the bucket or if it turned out that way because the project is made of red clay.
At the end of last week I threw a large bowl with red clay! It was very pretty but when I footed it it became lopsided :(
Yesterday I threw my tall project with red clay and I love the way it looks so far!